Ian Blatchford, Director and Chief Executive of the Science Museum Group
Ian Blatchford was appointed Director and Chief Executive of the Science Museum Group from 1 November 2010 and combined this with the role of Director of the Science Museum from December 2010.
The national museum group oversees the Science Museum, London, the National Railway Museum, York, the National Media Museum, Bradford and the Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester.
Previously Ian was Deputy Director of the Victoria & Albert Museum, London from December 2004, having joined the Museum in April 2002 as Director of Finance & Resources.
He started his career in the City, working at the Bank of England and the merchant bankers Barclays de Zoete Wedd, before the joining the Arts Council, where he was Deputy Finance Director.
He then joined the marketing and design agency Cricket Communications as Financial Controller before becoming Director of Finance at the Royal Academy of Arts in 1996.
Ian read law at Mansfield College, Oxford and holds an MA in Renaissance Studies from Birkbeck College, University of London. He is also a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants.
Currently Ian is Chairman of the Governors of De Montfort University, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Antiquaries and a Member of the Athenaeum
The Group Executive is accountable to the Director of SMG and is formed by the senior managers, most of whom report directly to the Director of SMG.
The Group Executive is responsible for resource allocation, leading strategic management, developing the cultural content and programmes and sustaining SMG values.
The members of the Group Executive are:
– Jane Ellis, Director of Corporate Services
– Sue Fisher, SMG Director of Development
– Roger Highfield, SMG Director of External Affairs
– Paul Kirkman, Director of the National Railway Museum
– Karen Livingstone, SMG Director of Masterplan and Estate
– Sally MacDonald, Director of the Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester
– Judith McNicol, SMG Director of People and Culture
– Jonathan Newby, SMG Deputy Director and Chief Operating Officer
– Tom O’Leary, Director of Learning
– Jo Quinton-Tulloch, Director of the National Media Museum
– John Stack, Digital Director
Image credit: © Science Museum, London ( )