The Science Museum is able to provide immunity from seizure for cultural objects which are on loan from overseas under Part 6 of the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007.
Protection under the Act can only be offered by approved institutions which have demonstrated to DCMS that they abide by their Due Diligence guidelines and have firm procedures in place for establishing the provenance history of cultural objects.
Immunity from seizure is only offered when specifically requested and is subject to the following terms and conditions:
– The object is usually kept outside the UK
– It is not owned by a person resident in the UK
– Importing the object does not contravene any law
– It is brought to the UK for public display in a temporary exhibition at an approved museum or gallery
– The borrowing museum has published information about the object online
Links to museums and galleries with forthcoming exhibitions which include objects lent from overseas to the UK can be found on the Arts Council England’s website.
List of loans
The following objects are intended to form part of the forthcoming exhibition(s):
If you have enquiries, please write to:
Immunity from Seizure
London SW7 2DD