The Science Museum Group holds an international collection of objects, library and archive material relating to science, technology, medicine, transport, media, and industry.
About the collection
From medieval anatomical votives to 1980s personal computers, our collection includes an incredible variety of objects as well as photographic, archival and library material.
Each museum in the Group specialises in an area of the collection.
The Science Museum has particular strengths in western science, technology and medicine since 1700. The Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester focuses on the development of industry. The National Science and Media Museum covers the technology and development of film, photography, television and the internet. The National Railway Museum comprises objects that tell the story of the railway from the early 19th century to today.
You can visit objects from the collection at each of our museums:
- On display at the Science Museum
- On display at the Museum of Science and Industry
- On display at the National Science and Media Museum
- On display at the National Railway Museum
- On display at Locomotion
If you are visiting to see a particular object, please contact us in advance to make sure that it will be on display.
- Email Science Museum
- Email Museum of Science and Industry
- Email National Science and Media Museum
- Email National Railway Museum
The Science Museum Group Collection website provides access to over 250,000 records from our object and archive collections.
You can use the website to:
- Search for a particular object, archive, individual or company;
- Filter your results by date, category or location to narrow your results;
- Find images of objects and archive material in our collection.
Our digitisation programme will continue to enhance, improve and add new records to the website.
To give feedback on our collections website, email us
Library and archive catalogues
The following resources are also available online:
Visiting by appointment
You can view objects and archives which are not on display by appointment.
- Dana Research Centre and Library at the Science Museum in London
- Insight: Collections and Research Centre at the National Science and Media Museum, Bradford
- Collections Centre at the Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester
- Search Engine at the National Railway Museum
- Wroughton, our library and archive in Wiltshire