Ian Blatchford, SMG Director
Ian Blatchford was appointed Director and Chief Executive of the Science Museum Group from 1 November 2010 and combined this with the role of Director of the Science Museum from December 2010. The national museum group oversees the Science Museum, London; the National Railway Museum, York and Shildon; the National Science and Media Museum, Bradford; and the Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester.
Previously Ian was Deputy Director of the Victoria & Albert Museum, London from December 2004, having joined the Museum in April 2002 as Director of Finance & Resources. He started his career in the City, working at the Bank of England and the merchant bankers Barclays de Zoete Wedd, before joining the Arts Council, where he was Deputy Finance Director. He then joined marketing and design agency Cricket Communications as Financial Controller before becoming Director of Finance at the Royal Academy of Arts in 1996.
Ian read law at Mansfield College, Oxford and holds an MA in Renaissance Studies from Birkbeck College, University of London. He is also a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants.
Currently Ian is Chairman of the Governors of De Montfort University, a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries and a Member of the Athenaeum. He was awarded the Pushkin Medal in 2015. In April 2017 Ian became Chairman of the National Museum Directors’ Council.
The Group Executive is accountable to the Director of SMG and forms the senior management team for the Science Museum Group. This team is responsible for resource allocation, leading strategic management, developing the cultural content and programmes and sustaining Group values.
The members of the Group Executive are:
- Jonathan Newby, Deputy Director and Chief Operating Officer
- Jane Ellis, Director of Corporate Services
- Lydia Lee, Director of Development
- Penny Canepa-Anson, Acting Director of Development
- Karen Livingstone, Director of Masterplan and Estate
- Linda Kilroy, Estates Director
- John Stack, Digital Director
- Tom O’Leary, Director of Learning
- Roger Highfield, Director of External Affairs
- Helen Jones, Director, Strategy and International
- Sally MacDonald, Director, Museum of Science and Industry
- Jo Quinton-Tulloch, Director, National Science and Media Museum
- Judith McNicol, Director, People and Culture and Acting Director, National Railway Museum