The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum, Exhibition Road, London SW7 2DD (‘the Science Museum Group’, also referred to in this policy as ‘we’, ‘our’ or ‘us’), operates a number of websites (‘the Websites’) including (but not limited to) the following:
Science Museum Group
Science Museum Group Collection
Science Museum blog
Hire The Science Museum
Hire The Railway Museum
National Railway Museum
National Railway Museum blog
The Flying Scotsman
National Science and Media Museum
National Science and Media Museum blog
Museum of Science and Industry
Museum of Science and Industry blog
Manchester Science Festival
Your use of any of the Websites (including the associated subdomains) is subject to the following Terms and Conditions of Use, which you are deemed to accept by using the Websites (or any of them). If you do not agree to these Terms and Conditions of Use, you must not use the Websites.
The Science Museum Group reserves the right to vary these Terms and Conditions of Use from time to time. Such variations become effective immediately upon the posting of the varied Terms and Conditions of Use on the relevant page of the Websites. By continuing to use the Websites (or any of them) you will be deemed to accept such variations.
You agree to use the Websites only for lawful purposes and in a considerate and responsible way that does not infringe the rights of, restrict or inhibit anyone else’s use and enjoyment of the Websites.
You agree not to use the Websites:
- for any purpose that is against the law;
- in any way that causes interruption or damage to the online services or renders them impaired or less efficient;
- for collecting data about other users;
- to disseminate advertisements or for any other commercial purposes (which would include using the Websites to promote or encourage the sale of your goods/services);
- to transmit or re-circulate any material obtained from any of the Websites to any third party except where expressly permitted on the Websites;
- in such a way so as to remove the copyright or trade mark notice(s) from any copies of any material made in accordance with these Terms and Conditions of Use;
- to disseminate any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising, promotional materials, ‘junk mail,’ ‘spam,’ ‘chain letters,’ or any other form of solicitation;
- to disseminate any material which is abusive, defamatory or obscene, may harass, offend or inconvenience any person, applauds, encourages or entices abuse, discrimination or criminal activity or which might restrict or inhibit the use and enjoyment of the Websites by any person;
- to disseminate any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, damage, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment (by breaching this provision you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990, and we would report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and cooperate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them);
- in any way that might infringe third party privacy or other rights, is unlawful or that might bring the Science Museum Group or any of its subsidiaries into disrepute; or
- to post link(s) that take users to material that contravenes any of the above restrictions.
All copyright, trade marks, design rights, patents and other intellectual property rights (registered or unregistered) in and on the Websites are owned by the Science Museum Group or are included with the permission of the owner of the rights as specified wherever possible.
No copying, distribution, broadcast, alteration, or modification of the pages of the Websites is permitted without our prior written permission. No use of any name, trade mark (registered or unregistered) of the Science Museum Group or its subsidiaries is to be made by you except for the purpose of referring to the Science Museum Group or its associated brands lawfully and in good faith only.
The names, images and logos identifying the Science Museum Group and its subsidiaries or third parties and their products and services are subject to copyright, design rights and trade marks of the Science Museum Group and/or third parties. Nothing contained in these Terms and Conditions of Use shall be construed as conferring any licence or right to use any trade mark, design right or copyright of the Science Museum Group or any other third party.
You may freely access and store the majority of the Websites’ contents on a temporary basis for the purposes of personal or private viewing, interaction or listening.
Some non-commercial use may be covered by a copyright exception under the UK Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. For all uses, a sufficient acknowledgement must be made to the copyright holder of work. It is your responsibility to make sure you comply with the copyright exceptions before using in-copyright content. For further information please refer to the UK Intellectual Property website.
Please refer to the Science Museum Group’s Creative Commons Policy for details of where a free licence may be available and what it allows you to do.
Until you are 12 years old, by using our Websites, you certify that your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have consented to your use and agree to these Terms and Conditions of Use on your behalf. Parental discretion is advised and we recommend that you review these Terms and Conditions of Use with your parent(s)/guardian before using our Websites.
The information on the Websites does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the Science Museum Group. While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy and completeness of information on the Websites, the Science Museum Group does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the material on the Websites, nor does it guarantee that the Websites will be free from errors or omissions, or that the Websites (or any of them) are up to date. You are responsible for checking the accuracy of relevant facts, instructions, suggestions and/or opinions given on the Websites before relying on them.
To the extent permitted by law:
- the Science Museum Group and its subsidiaries exclude all liability and responsibility for loss or damage that may result to you or a third party (including without limitation, any direct or indirect loss or damage) whether in tort (including without limitation negligence), contract breach of statutory duty or otherwise arising in connection with the Websites, even if foreseeable, or in connection with the use, inability to use, reliance on or the results of use of the Websites, any websites linked to the Websites or the material on such Websites;
- the Science Museum Group excludes all conditions, warranties, representations or other terms which may apply to the Websites or any content on the Websites, whether express or implied, including any representation, warranty or guarantee that the Websites (or any of them) are accurate, complete or up to date.
We have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity, nor will we be liable to you for any loss or damage caused by a virus or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of our site or to your downloading of any content on it, or any website linked to it.
Nothing in these terms excludes or limits our liability for death or personal injury arising from our negligence, or our fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation, or any other liability that cannot be excluded or limited by English law.
When you submit content to the Websites, you are granting the Science Museum Group free of charge, permission to use the material in accordance with the following provisions:
- You are also granting the Science Museum Group the right to give members of the public a copy of your content for the purpose of private study or educational activities or research.
- The Science Museum Group also has the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to the Websites constitutes a violation of their IP rights or rights to privacy. We will not be responsible or liable to any third party for the content or accuracy of any content posted by you or other users of the Websites.
- You are confirming that your material is your own original work and that you are fully entitled to grant to the Science Museum Group non-exclusive rights to use it. You should not violate, plagiarise, or infringe the rights of any third parties including copyright, trade mark, trade secrets, privacy, and publicity, personal or proprietary rights.
- You agree that your content is in no way defamatory, illegal or offensive. The Science Museum Group reserves the right to remove any content that it deems unsuitable. This will include content that is unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, racially offensive or otherwise objectionable.
- You agree that you have the consent of anyone who is identifiable in your content or the consent of a parent or guardian if the person is under 16 years of age.
- You shall not submit any content that is intended to advertise or promote a business. The Science Museum Group reserves the right to remove any content deemed to be advertising material.
The Science Museum Group reserves the right to use none, part or all of your submission, to edit or remove any material submitted without prior notice or any liability to you and may delete any contribution published onto its Websites at any time.
If you do not want to grant to the Science Museum Group the above rights or cannot provide the warranties set out above, please do not submit any content to the Websites.
Our Websites may contain links to other third party websites that are not owned or controlled by the Science Museum Group. These links are provided for your convenience of access. If you use these links you will leave the Websites and visit any linked site at your own risk. The Science Museum Group is not responsible for any content, products or services available on any other website. Such links should not be interpreted as endorsement by the Science Museum Group of those linked websites and the Science Museum Group shall not be liable for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
If you purchase exhibitions and events tickets from the Websites, that purchase will be governed by a separate set of terms of purchase.
If you enter a Science Museum Group competition, Science Museum Group will alert you to the specific competition terms and conditions that apply.
These Terms and Conditions of Use shall be governed by English law and the parties submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
Contact about these Terms and Conditions of Use
If you have any questions or comments about this Terms and Conditions of Use, email us
Last updated 7 June 2016